Friday, December 19, 2008

MUSING L19

Hello and welcome to my blog.


I am still unable to restore the link section I would like to display on this page. Dang. Tried a couple of things but failed. However, one good thing resulted from my fooling around. Since I was doing things here I was short on time for updating the larger spreadsheet I maintain. I did want the numbers though and decided to save them in Exel. It then occurred to me that I could use this method for updating the spreadsheet. A copy and paste instead of manually typing in the data. Duh.

With 600 stocks to follow the number crunching can become daunting and time consuming. This past week there have been about 100 alerts with each needing a daily closing price entry. Too much and I was worried about the time drain. The solution arrived serendipitously yesterday.

The program I use for closing numbers is STOCKTICK 2005. It can be found by googling the name and is provided by INDIGO software. It is free but no longer supported. I have had no problems using it and think it is great. Thanks INDIGO, very cool program. Once STOCKTICK has updated I simply export the file and save it. Then it is over to Exel for a cut, paste and copy routine.

The main reason for this blog was to find solutions to data management and reduce the grunt work time. Another solution was found yesterday.

A link to a portion of the larger spreadsheet follows to show what I am dealing with.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p5g7vLKhkez40SJziQjwVHw

When I view this on Exel I can view 5 days as one page. Sorry, but I am not going to fine tune the column width in Google. Anyways, when the 5 days are visible it is easy to see what the results are. If there is an UP alert in green and the follow through is positive, then the price change is marked in green for the next few days. If it is a pale purple color then the price change is negative and the UP alert is not working out. The number after the price change is the % price change. I am planning to add a summary column at the end of each week.

Okay, enough for now. I ask for your tolerance while viewing this page and my work. Not only am I trying to drive the bus I am also building and fixing it at the same time.

Thank you for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment